At the April 2009 Southern District ITE Annual Meeting in Birmingham, AL, an award was established to recognize an individual who contributed outstandingly to the education of future leaders in the transportation engineering field and to their local Section or the Southern District ITE. Because the South has been blessed with a number of outstanding educators at many of its Universities, it would be difficult to single out just one educator above all others, therefore, the award is not named after an individual.
- 2016 – Dr. William “Jeff” Davis
- 2015 – Dr. Marty E. Lipinski
- 2014 – Dr. Robert L. Vecellio
- 2013 – Dr. Jack B. Humphreys
- 2012 – Dr. Wayne A. Sarasua
- 2011 – Dr. Peter S. Parsonson
- 2010 – Dr. Robert E. Stammer, Jr.
- 2009 – Dr. Daniel S. Turner
- 2008 – Dr. Paul D. Cribbins